Ahead of the FIH Men's Hockey World Cup, a labourer reportedly died after coming in contact with a live electric wire at Birsa Munda Hockey Stadium in Rourkela.

The deceased, identified as Gopal Tirkey, was engaged in beautification works at the stadium when he accidentally came in contact with the live wire.

He was identified as Gopal Tirkey (23) who was engaged in the stadium work by a contractor of TPWODL.

Sources said Tirkey had climbed up an electric post at Gate No-4 for some repair work. At around 12.30 pm, he came in contact with a live wire.

On being electrocuted, he fell down on the ground and was killed. Later, Tirkey’s family members and some locals staged protest in front of Chhend police station demanding compensation and action against those responsible for the mishap.

Tirkey was told that the power supply was disconnected. But when he touched the overhead wire, he was thrown off the post and died.

Tirkey, who hails from Mangaratola village, was working with a contractual company. Today, Tirkey came in contact with an electric wire while working on the ongoing electrifrication works at the newly built Birsa Munda stadium in the steel city.

Following the incident, Tirkey was immediately rushed to the hospital where he was declared brought dead by the doctors.